bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

Undercover Bride by Margaret Brownley

Undercover Bride: (Undercover Ladies) - Margaret Brownley

I freely admit that I love to read Historical Fiction involving mail order brides.  Now I think I might have a definite liking for tales of Pinkerton detectives as well, especially female Pinkerton detectives.

Undercover Bride involves both.  Maggie Taylor is a Pinkerton operative, undercover as a mail order bride for a suspected "Whistle Stop Bandit," Garrett Thomas.  Maggie doesn't make the best first impression on arriving, and the hotel is somehow full, so she stays in Garrett's home despite his misgivings about her suitability.  Expecting a psychopath, instead she finds a handsome, doting father of two.

This is the second book in Margaret Brownley's Undercover Ladies series, and I enjoyed it enough that I am going to read the first book, Petticoat Detective soon. There is enough tension and suspense with the mystery element to keep the readers interest.

An expanded version of this review is available on my Wordpress blog: http://wp.me/p5Tcfi-1U

Recommended for fans of clean historical romance and mystery. Or if you just want to know why (according to 5 year old Elise) everyone who eats cornbread dies. 3.5/5 stars

This review refers to an ebook I read for free courtesy of the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.