bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

Review: The Mistress of Tall Acre by Laura Frantz

The Mistress of Tall Acre: A Novel - Laura Frantz

After 8 years of war against the British, Miss Sophie Menzies is alone on the now ramshackle Three Chimneys estate except for her housekeeper and (unpaid) hired man.  Shunned by the village for her father's political views, she is facing continued hardship and the threat of trouble.  In stark contrast, her neighbor has returned from the war, widowed and a war hero, to the thriving Tall Acre estate.  General Seamus Ogilvy's greatest post-war challenges seem to be relating to his young daughter, Lily Cate, and keeping her mother's relative from claiming her.  To protect Lily Cate from being legally awarded to her aunt and uncle, Seamus proposes a marriage of convenience to Sophie.  Sophie accepts and soon becomes the mistress of Tall Acres and the adored mama of Lily Cate.  But the growing closeness of their new family is put to the test as unforeseen complications abound.

With a blend of intrigue, drama, faith and romance, Laura Frantz has delivered a story rich with the social, political and moral character of a fledgling post-colonial America.  And she's built it on a foundation of wonderful characters, from the strong hero and dedicated heroine to the faithful staff of Tall Acres, with a memorable cameo by General George Washington.

Highly recommended for fans of historical fiction, romance, and the post-revolutionary era.  My full review can be read on my WordPress blog at http://wp.me/p5Tcfi-5Y.  I will definitely be reading more Laura Frantz books.

This review refers to a review ebook I read for free, courtesy of the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.