bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

Review: At Love's Bidding by Regina Jennings

At Love's Bidding - Regina Jennings

This story of a search for a missing painting started a bit wobbly for me, due to the auction house setting and the initial characterization of Miranda having her come off as a bit of a spineless do-gooder.  As the story progressed to a small town in the Ozark Mountains, with Miranda caring for her increasingly unstable grandfather, I was slowly pulled in.  By the time Wyatt realizes that he will not escape having a second meeting with the shy woman who hid behind her grandfather as he made a colossally poor first impression, I was hooked.

While this story, and the romance, was more of a slow burn than I've become used to recently, it was a very enjoyable and satisfying read.  No instant changes in characters or their relationships, which makes the pivotal romantic scenes even more gratifying.

Well written and amusing with suspense, a bit of mystery and a sweet romance for fans of historical fiction.

An expanded version of this review can be read on my blog at http://wp.me/p5Tcfi-vN

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Bethany House Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”