bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

Would a Worm Go On a Walk? by Hannah C. Hall, Bill Bolton illustr.

Would a Worm Go on a Walk? - Hannah C. Hall, Bill Bolton

God saw all that He had made, and it was very good.  Genesis 1:31a

That is the message at the heart of this cute picture book asking if different creatures would do things that are outside of their normal behavior.  For each bug, invertebrate or animal, the illustrations first anthropomorphize as questions are asked, then when we turn the page for the answer they are portrayed in a more realistic way.

Reading through the text and looking at the illustrations, I can imagine how hilarious some of this would be for young children when read aloud.  I can also imagine the conversations about unfamiliar animals.  This is what saves the text from feeling too negative, when answer after answer is "No" until the final message is reached, of God's purpose and love for His creation.

The text itself is written in rhyme and would be fun to read aloud with a lot of expression. My particular favorite of the creatures is the ladybug, whose question and answer read:

Would a LADYBUG wear lipstick?

NO!  That's not what she enjoys.

'Cause lipstick is for ladies,

and some ladybugs are BOYS! (pg12)

The text is fun and the rhymes are unforced, which makes repeated reading much more pleasant.  The illustrations are cute and cartoonish - the cover is a perfect example of what is found inside.  The vibrant colors and skillfully unpolished artwork will be very approachable for children.

This is a picture book with a very specific message, and a lot of potential for fun and good conversations.  I mean, there are penguins in parachutes, so how can you resist?

This review was originally published on my Wordpress blog at http://wp.me/p5Tcfi-NZ

Please do not reblog without permission.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher, Worthy Publishing <http://worthypublishing.com>, through the First Look blog tour program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”