bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

Review: My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

My Best Friend's Exorcism: A Novel - Grady Hendrix

For the nostalgia factor, this is a really fun read.  The author takes us through the friendship between Gretchen and Abby, beginning at a fifth grade roller skating party through to the present day, all framing the pivotal events (see the title) in their high school years.  And he gets it right.  He gets adolescent girl friendships right.

Hendrix nails the 1980's nostalgia, up to and including some of the absurdity.  And I could love this book for that, but then there is the horror factor.  That, for me, is where it gets squidgy.  It wasn't over the top, but there was still enough that (even though I could see some of the humor in it) I was not comfortable with those aspects.  Even more so than his prior novel, Horrorstor.  And perhaps that is part of what the horror genre is supposed to do.  Make you uncomfortable and mess with your mind a little bit.

So, fun and nostalgia for the win, drugs and demonic possession for the - uh, no!  not going there.  But then there is the use of 1980's song titles as perfectly matched chapter titles, and I'm back to nostalgia.  I guess, in reviewing this book, I have to go with the slightly generic feeling summary of "I enjoyed the writing, but not all of the subject matter."  I don't see myself rereading this one, demons just aren't my thing. 3/5 stars

This review was previously posted on my WordPress blog at http://wp.me/p5Tcfi-19Q and refers to an Advance Readers Copy from Uncorrected Proofs received for free from the publisher.  I received this book through a SnapChat post, with no stated requirements for reviewing.  Here it is, however, with only my honest opinion. And honestly, I sometimes think that the things I don't like about a book in this genre are exactly what people who like horror probably enjoy about it.