bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

Destiny Rewritten by Kathryn Fitzmaurice

Destiny, Rewritten - Kathryn Fitzmaurice

Destiny Rewritten by Kathryn Fitzmaurice is an adorable middle grade book. The story is inventive and Emily is a spunky, lively 11 year old. That said, I have a specific issue with this book that prevents me from gifting or even loaning it to my 11 year old niece. And while I do have some other issues (the letters to Danielle Steele, etc), they are completely overshadowed by this one specific issue.

The problem is a total lack of consequences for bad behavior.

Without going too heavily into spoiler territory, when a character lies, does things they should not, mistreats others in any way, and/or influences others to do the same, there should be consequences. In this, as in many contemporary middle grade books, there are absolutely no repercussions for bad behavior. This completely irks the aunt/former grade school teacher in me.

As an adult, I highly enjoyed reading about Emily’s adventures. I loved the interaction between Emily and her best friend, Wavey. This is the kind of friendship (except when engaging in behaviors mentioned above), and the kind of friend, that is such a good model for middle grade girls. It is just unfortunate that I won’t be able to share this with my young niece.