bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

Rodeo Red by Maripat Perkins, Molly Idle (Illus.) - picture book review

Rodeo Red - Maripat Perkins, Molly Idle

I’m wishing I had a whole passel of young’uns to buy copies of this for, but I'll have to settle for one copy for one particular trio, dadburnit!  Rodeo Red is without a doubt one of the most charming and downright cute picture books I have read recently (and having recently become a great-aunt for the third time, I’ve been reading quite a few).

The narrator is a little girl who goes by the name of Rodeo Red, and everything was fine until the Sheriff (Mom) and her deputy (Dad) brought Sideswiping Slim (baby brother) home. Before you know it, he’s swiped her stuffed hound dog Rusty and won’t give him back until Red manages to make a deal with him. A nice little lesson on negotiating and compromise, all wrapped up in a very fun story – best read with, oh let’s call it a “western prairie” accent. Books like this, written in a way that they are easily read with a fun voice, quickly become favorites. For me, this ranks right up there with Mem Fox’s Tough Boris.

The illustrations are incredibly cute as well, and compliment the story. I especially liked the little touches, such as the sheriff's star shaped broach worn by the mother and the same shaped cufflinks worn by the father.

My thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for providing a review e-book in exchange for an honest review. Honest, yes, but critical isn’t happening – I’m just too tickled by the fun of reading it!