bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

Gulf Coast Chronicles, Book One: The Pelican Bride by Beth White

The Pelican Bride - Beth White

I purchased this book partly because it reminded me of a favorite Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy operetta, Naughty Marietta (which also caused me some confusion as I had to shift my preconception of a New Orleans setting to the Mobile, Alabama area once I began reading).

Set against the backdrop of a French settlement, the political machinations between the British, French, and various Native American groups, this is at heart a romance. Genevieve Gaillain is a Huguenot, a religion of reform no longer tolerated in France. So, as a fugitive from French justice, she flees France with her sister Aimee, both signing agreements to wed among the Canadian men sent by King Louis XIV to maintain his sovereignty in the area we now know as Mobile, Alabama. Among those men is a farmer and cartographer, Tristan Lanier, who still grieves for his first wife and is not looking for wife #2...

4 out of 5 stars, well-written Christian romance with a healthy dose of little known history. The full review is available on my blog: http://wp.me/p5Tcfi-I