bookworlder

Yvette - Bookworlder

Just a middle-brow reader who loves a good story, recipe or how-to.

The Creole Princess by Beth White

The Creole Princess: A Novel (Gulf Coast Chronicles) (Volume 2) - Beth White

The Creole Princess is the second book in Beth White's Gulf Coast Chronicles, and is again set primarily in Mobile, Alabama.  It is 1776 and Mobile, now controlled by the British, is home to the Creole descendants of the Lanier brothers, their wives and many of their contemporaries from book one, The Pelican Bride.  Among them is Lyse Lanier, the child of a freed slave and the grandson of both Lanier brothers, and her best friend Daisy Redmond, daughter of the local British garrison's commander.

Lyse lives a hard-scrabble life, helping to provide for her young half-siblings in spite of her drunken father.  Into her path saunters a foppish young Spaniard, Don Rafael Gonzalez.  But is the Spanish really just a dandified merchant?  Does Rafa love Lyse, or is he using her? Will Daisy and Simon Lanier, Lyse's brother, ever be able to court openly?

The sense of actual history unfolding, authentically, provides the greatest depth to this story.  As in the first volume, the political machinations help drive the plot forward and provide the reader with an education in some lesser known aspects of regional American history.  All without seeming like a history lesson.

3.5 out of 5 stars. While not quite as interesting and enjoyable as The Pelican Bride, still an entertaining and well written historical novel.

The full review can be read on my blog: http://wp.me/p5Tcfi-P

I received a free preview ebook courtesy of the publisher, through NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review.